Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pottermore: Brilliance webified


The above is a screenshot of the Pottermore website, in all it's unaccessible glory.

I realized about 20 minutes or so ago, in a confusing-to-anyone-who-doesn't-know-me yell of "ZOMG! Pottermore!" (yes I say "ZOMG" in real life) as I lept for my [mother's] computer, that today was the first day to register for early access to the website Pottermore by the awe-inspiring JK Rowling. It being Harry's/JK Rowling's birthday, today was naturally the first day, but to my dismay I found out that registration was closed (as expected). A glimmer of hope loomed though, because despite registration being closed for today, it's not, as I expected, closed permanently until  the official launch. Oh no, that would be silly, and something any other normal website would do. Clearly something that has emerged from the mind of Ms. Rowling has to exceed the expectations of her devoted fans (i.e. me); just as she gave us 7 books, she's also giving  us 7 days and 7 chances to get early access to the website.
The best part, other than the whole website, is that you can't just register by being the first and signing up your name. Again, that would be silly and something any other normal website would do. To be part of the magical world that Pottermore is surely going to offer us, you have to be magical yourself, and be good with riddles.

The pinkish banner above says this (the bigger screenshot wouldn't fit, sorry lovelies):

Those of you who would like the chance to gain early access to Pottermore must find The Magical Quill and then submit their registration details. Each day, from 31 July to 6 August, a clue will be revealed here. Solve the clue and you will be taken to The Magical Quill. Be quick, The Magical Quill won’t be there for long and registration will only be open while spaces are still available each day.

"The Magical Quill? Wot on earth is that?" I hear your voices say in sheer dismay (I told you, I have brilliant hearing). Never fear, for Rowling has an answer for that as well, on the far right in that lovely green/blue/I'msurethere'sapropernameforthatshade colour.

What is The Magical Quill?

The Magical Quill detects the birth of magical children and writes their name down in a large book. To find out if your name is in the book, you need to find The Magical Quill and then submit your registration details on Pottermore.


I don't know, maybe I just have deep love for JK Rowling and everything she creates, but I cant help but to think that this woman is absolutely and fantastically brilliant. I mean, I'm aware that this registration process is something small and silly and gimmicky, but I got so extremely excited...and that's wot I like, she got me excited to register for a website. Not a lot of people have managed to do that. Actually, no one has ever gotten me excited to register for their website. I've been excited to use websites, but never to simply have the chance to register for them. It may be a little frustrating to try and figure out the riddles, or even try and figure out wot would be the optimal time to try and sign up (with the whole time zones thing existing on our little planet).

Also the whole 'magical birth' think is quite clever. I can see children and adults all over the world working out riddles and going "HA!" when they figure them out and are told that their names have been found in the book. Then they can turn to people who don't like Harry Potter and murder them!

*cough* I mean, say "I told you I was magical!"

I'll let you know if I'm magical.

2 comments:

  1. Well, now that I've seen the movie (which was absolutely brilliant and I now love Alan Rickman), I am experiencing Post-Potter depression, so I can't wait for Pottermore. Now, I'm off to prove I'm not a Muggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll prove it quickly, but good luck!

    And yes, Alan Rickman is astounding.

    ReplyDelete